8 – 19 January 2024
Applications are now CLOSED for the 2024 CMAA Senior Academy of Country Music (THE ACADEMY)
About the Senior Academy
The Academy presents a unique opportunity to create a career in the music industry. Over 900 students have graduated from The Academy since 1997, many of whom have created stellar careers. The Academy graduation concert is an opportunity for the audience of country music industry and fans to watch graduates perform, which can lead to many new and exciting opportunities. The industry is uniquely structured to provide opportunities to new entrants at every level in live performance and recording. Check out our alumni page to read about some careers that were started at The Academy . This is where your whole journey starts.
The country music industry in Australia is highly diversified covering a very broad range of music styles including country, folk, blues, Australiana, bluegrass, bush ballad, traditional American styles, pop country, Americana, alt country, and singer/songwriter. All styles are fully explored, welcomed and embraced at The Academy.
The focus of the course is on the singer/performer/songwriter/musician, who receives a detailed programme of tuition including songwriting, performance and career-building modules, designed specifically for the career-minded singer and/or songwriter. They are tutored and mentored by Golden Guitar winning, professional artists, songwriters, instrumentalists and country music business professionals. The topics covered will include:
Write @ The Academy – Songwriting techniques, co-writing workshops and one-on-one songwriting opportunities with a professional songwriter.
Perform @ The Academy – Multiple opportunities to perform including at the Opening Concert of the Tamworth Country Music Festival and the Graduation Concert with full production.
Play @ The Academy – Tuition in theory and technique. Vocal, performance and instrumental training provided for all students with multiple opportunities to perform and collaborate.
Find Your Tribe @ The Academy – A unique opportunity to join a number of other emerging artists and collaborate, co-write, jam, explore ideas, rehearse and perform. #Friendsforlife
Work It Out @ The Academy – Rehearse and create results everyday with like-minded people who love the same music you do.
Make It Happen @ The Academy – Work with professional career builders to create the dream career for yourself. Whatever that looks like for the authentic you; you can make it happen.
Press Play @ The Academy – You’ll hear from and work with the best music producers in the business so when you’re ready to record you’ll be absolutely ready to take on the world.
Break It Down @ The Academy – Learn social media skills, branding and marketing from experts who do this for themselves and others every day.
See You @ The Academy – You will find your peers; we guarantee you’ll meet some of the people you’ll keep close for the rest of your life.
Our intensive instrumental course runs alongside the singer/songwriter/performer course and the two compliment each other. Aimed at musicians who want to improve their musicianship, learn about reading and writing chord and number charts, connect with likeminded peers and have the opportunity to play as part of a band. Many aspects of the SSP course are entwined with the instrumental course, but instrumentalists also receive tuition specific to them, the instruments they play and working with a band. With a focus on guitars (rhythm and lead), bass, drums, keys and fiddle, we can cater to most instruments so please contact us if you have an enquiry about an instrument not listed.
Information and Fees
Fees include: 12 days of tuition and master classes plus meals (lunch, dinner & morning tea daily).
Location: Liberty College, Tamworth NSW.
Course Fee: Senior Course: $2500 (inc gst) + cost of your own accommodation
After successful application, students will be required to pay a 50% deposit on acceptance, with the balance payable no later than November 30th 2023.
If you have any queries about the courses please contact us HERE
Applications Opening 1 July 2023
Applications will CLOSE 31 August 2023 at 5pm (AEST)
Late applications will not be accepted.
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
1. The Official Application Form
– To be completed online.
– Two colour photos which cannot exceed 2 MB in file size. Files must be jpg format (not pdf).
– One photo must be a HEADSHOT (similar to a passport photo in style – head and shoulders only), the second must be a publicity style photo that is suitable for print and online media.
– Please note that these images will be used for all publicity and promotional purposes throughout your Academy journey.
3. Recorded Song
– 1 x video file of you performing a song, preferably live.
– Applicants should consider the quality of their recording as you will be assessed on these recordings.
– A good quality live recording with accompaniment (instrument or backing track) and vocal is often preferable to a produced recording, as we want a true representation of you.
– Songwriters will also need to have attached lyrics.
4. Social Media Links
– Links to your YouTube and/or Website and social media pages. These should be public pages, not private accounts/profiles.
– You are welcome to upload a referral letter from a well-known country music practitioner (producer, songwriter, teacher, festival organiser, performer) if you have one. This can be a valuable resource to assist your application.
CLICK HERE for a detailed instructions about the application form.